Location: Banbury, OX15 4PE
Salary: £11,907 per annum including holiday pay
Contract: Term time
Hours: 30 hours per week term time, including alternative Saturday mornings plus up to 12 hours at the start and end of each term. Rota to be discussed with the Matron to ensure continual cover in the House from 8:00 – 18:30 Monday to Friday and 8:00 – 11:30 on Saturday.
Start Date: September 2020
Bloxham School is looking to appoint a non-resident Assistant Matron in a boys’ boarding house.
The principal role of the Assistant Matron is to assist with the pastoral care of the pupils who are resident in the House by making a major contribution to the caring, family atmosphere of the School. This will involve working closely with the Matron to ensure that pupils settle into school life by providing a sympathetic ear and practical support.
Assistant Matron – The Role:
The Assistant Matron assists in the domestic side of the day to day running of the boarding house.
- Liaising closely with the Matron and Housemaster with any concerns relating to the general welfare of the pupils. This may involve occasional contact with the parents.
- Liaising with the Matron to ensure all areas within the Matron’s responsibility are covered at all times.
- Assist the Matron with the supervision of the cleaners assigned to the House and the management of their workload to ensure that the House is maintained to a high standard of cleanliness; assist with domestic duties when required.
- Helping to supervise the laundry for pupils.
- Reporting all repairs and faults of fixtures and fittings in the House to the Matron, and liaising with the Matron on updating of fixtures, fittings and decoration.
- Supporting House events, such as the annual House Dance, and assisting at Founderstide Day, Open Days and New Pupils Teas, as appropriate.
- Working with the Matron and cleaners to prepare the House at the start and end of each term.
- Offering seamstress support where appropriate in the House.
- Undertaking suitable training as required.
Assistant Matron – Skills and Experience:
- An understanding of the pastoral needs of teenage boys in a day and boarding environment.
- Ability to assist in the management of a team of domestic staff.
- A commitment to the Safeguarding of all the students in our care.
- Have a warm and sympathetic personality.
- Be tactful, discreet and a good listener.
- Be firm and fair.
- Be practical and keep a cool head in emergencies.
- Be willing to attend training courses, as appropriate.
- Have a hands-on approach to all aspects of running the domestic side of a house.
- Seamstress skills to be able to carry out minor repairs to clothes and to make curtains.
- Previous experience of pastoral care in a boarding school.
Assistant Matron – Benefits:
- £11,907 per annum including holiday pay
- Enrolment in the School’s defined contribution pension scheme
- School meals provided during working hours
- Access at no charge to the School’s sporting, swimming and fitness facilities
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience to be successful in this role click on ‘Apply’ now forwarding an up to date copy of your CV for consideration in the first instance.
No Agencies Please.